FAME - A Group Exercise Program for People Living with Stroke
Gym In Motion is pleased to be licensed by the University of British Columbia to present their FAME Program.
FAME is a community-based exercise program developed for people with stroke who have some standing and walking ability. We showed that this program improved mobility, cardiovascular fitness, arm and hand function. A fitness instructor instructed the patient in the program, but the patient did the program independently. It is important to note that better outcomes are achieved if the patient has family, friends or a caregiver who can assist with the program.
The FAME (Fitness and Mobility Exercise) Program was developed in Vancouver, Canada by Janice Eng PhD PT/OT with invaluable assistance from Andrew Dawson MD FRCP, Daniel Marigold PhD and Marco Pang PhD PT with funding from the Heart and Stroke Foundation of BC and Yukon.
Overview of the FAME Program
The Fitness and Mobility Exercise Program (FAME) is a group exercise program developed for people living with stroke who have some standing and walking ability. The program was developed to fulfill the urgent need for a safe and effective exercise program to enhance mobility and fitness of people living with stroke who are generally older, less fit, have mobility problems and are prone to falls.
FAME is a group exercise program that can be easily implemented into inpatient or outpatient rehabilitation or community settings as it does not require costly one-on-one training, specialised settings or expensive equipment. The challenge is to achieve a level of exercise intensity, whic will result in positive effects, yet ensure safety to aoid an exercise related fall or cardiovascular event.
Based on clinical trials, the FAME program has been found to improve motor function (muscle strength, balance, walking), cardiovascular fitness, bone density of people living with stroke. The FAME Program may also help to reduce the risk of secondary complications such as falls, fractures, heart disease and dementia, which are common after a stroke.
Goals of FAME
- Increase the amount of physical activity of people living with stroke
- Provide a motivating and socially stimulating program to enhance exercise adherence
- Address multiple impairments arising from stroke
- Minimise risk of secondary complications eg: falls, fractures, heart disease and dementia
- Provide an evidence based group exercise program for people living with stroke
- Serve as a complement to healthy living
- Improve fitness and mobility after stroke
Please refer to the section on FAME Evidence
Who is FAME suitable for?.
If you can answer yes to all of these questions, then FAME is the program for you!
- Have I had a stroke?
- Can I stand for 5 minutes?
- Can I walk for 32 feet (with or without a walking aid)?
- Can I communicate with the trainer?
- Can I follow instructions given verbally or in combination with gestures and demonstrations?
- Can I let the instructor know if I have pain, or do not want to do a particular exercise?
- Can I go to the washroom by myself or with my carer?
- Do I want to improve my walking, fitness, balance and/or help prevent a second stroke?
Site Mailing List
Gym In Motion Ltd Registered in England and Wales No: 11291303
Registered Office: 1 Warren Bottom Erwarton IP91LR Suffolk Telephone: 07929 256856 Email: email@example.com
Gym In Motion, Your Mobile Fitness Gym, Fitness-Nutrition-Wellbeing are the registered trade marks of Gym In Motion Ltd. FitBingo, FitHoy, Walking4Life and Fit4U Mobile Gym are trademarks of Gym In Motion Ltd.
Gym In Motion Mobile Gym, Suffolk Personal Trainer, Ipswich Personal Trainer, Mobile Gym Ipswich, Mobile Personal Trainer Ipswich, Mobile Gym Suffolk, Mobile Personal Trainer Essex, Mobile Gym Essex, East Anglia Personal Trainer, East Anglia Mobile Gym, Mobile Gym UK, Fit4U Mobile Gym, Mobile Fitness UK, Mobile Wellness UK, Wellness On Wheels, Work Out At Home UK, My Home Trainer, Your Mobile Fitness Gym, Oomph Wellness, Care Home Fitness and Health, Care Home Exercise, Carehome Fitness and Wellness, Otago Falls Program, Otago Falls Prevention UK, Fit4Future East Anglia, Fit4Later Life